Certosa di Pontignano
Certosa di Pontignano is an official conference center of the University of Siena. Set in the heart of Chianti, at a few kilometers from Siena, on the top of a hill dominating the town. It's a lovely place to stay, and an original frame for a chemical workshop, where modern scientific knowledge meets ancient places full of history.
How to reach us
- If you are to land Florence Airport, from there you can take a bus to Florence Station (information about this bus is here). Ticket can be bought aboard. From Florence Station you can take the train to Siena (see the website where you can search for the best timetable) or the bus (the terminus is near Florence Station): for the bus timetable you can look here (from Firenze - Autostazione to Siena - via Tozzi).
- From Pisa Airport to Siena you can take the bus Pisa Airport - Firenze Autostazione, and then change for Siena (more information here); otherwise, you may use the train (Pisa Centrale - Empoli, and then change for Empoli - Siena). You can check the timetable at the web page and find more information here.
- If your plane will knock down at Aeroporto di Fiumicino or Ciampino in Rome, the best way is to take a bus to Siena from Roma Tiburtina (please check here or here); To reach Roma Tiburtina from both airports you may find useful information here or here.
- From Bologna Airport there's a bus which arrives directly to Siena, but there are only two daily trips, you can check the timetable at the web page.
- If you are planning to reach Siena by train, the nearest High Speed Train (Frecciarossa) enabled station is Firenze - Santa Maria Novella. For other kind of train (Intercity, Regional etc.) as a general rule, your best choice is to reach Firenze - Santa Maria Novella from the northern direction, and Chiusi - Chianciano Terme from the southern one. From there you may take a Regional Train (ticket: about 10€) to Siena Station. For timetables and route planning, please visit the official Trenitalia website.
Once in Siena:
The easiest way to catch Certosa di Pontignano, where the Workshop is going to be held, is by taxi, it will take about 20 minutes. Telephone number of the radio taxi is: +39 0577 49222.
There is also a urban Bus from Siena - Piazza Gramsci to Pontignano (bus number 34). Here you can find the timetable to Pontignano and from Pontignano.
You will be here
Certosa di Pontignano - Università degli Studi di Siena, Loc. Pontignano, 5 - 53019 Castelnuovo Berardenga (SI), Italia